While driving, your hands should always be kept firmly on the steering wheel in the quarter to three position. You should always remember to:
- Never cross your hands when making turns. Pass the steering wheel from one hand to the other to avoid crossing arms.
- Hold the wheel firmly but not too firmly. Ensure your thumbs are pointing up and not locked around the wheel.
How to steer
Steering needs a bit of practise before you can get good at it. Find an empty lot and practise making turns before you go on the main roads.
The steps for making a turn are as follows:
- Slow down as you approach the turn.
- Smoothly adjust your speed coming into and out of the turn.
- Keep control of your vehicle as you come out of the turn – don’t leave the car to readjust itself.
- Look ahead where you want to go instead of the road immediately in front of you.