Changing lanes is more complicated than it may seem. There are a lot of things to think about, and you’ll also need to thoroughly check the spaces around your vehicle to ensure you’re doing it safely.
Follow these steps when switching lanes:
- Look ahead for hazards such as cyclists, or slow or stopped traffic that could make it dangerous to change lanes.
- Check your mirrors, signal and do a shoulder check. Indicating for at least 3 seconds informs other drivers that you’re about to change lanes.
- Scan the road in front and check your mirrors and blind spot again.
- If the gap is big enough, merge smoothly and decisively into the next lane.
- Do another mirror check once you have changed lanes.
When driving on motorways with more than 2 lanes, remember to check if a vehicle in the third lane is aiming for the same gap you are before you change lanes.