You will need to change gears when driving a manual car as the speed of your vehicle increases or decreases. It will take a bit of practice before you get used to shifting gears, but you should be able to do it well soon if you follow these steps:
Before starting the vehicle and putting it into gear:
- Ensure your handbrake is on.
- Press the clutch all the way in.
- Make sure the car is in neutral i.e. the gear lever is in the middle space and not in gear.
- Start the engine.
- Shift to 1st gear or reverse depending on the direction you want to go.
- Prepare to set off.
To change gears when driving:
- Press the clutch in swiftly.
- Change to the next gear either down or up (depending on whether you are increasing or reducing speed).
- Slowly let the clutch out.