Hill starts when facing down the hill are a little bit easier as gravity will be working with you rather than opposing you. Being a hill start, however, there’re still a couple of steps you need to follow to ensure you do it correctly and safely.
Follow these steps once you’re ready to start moving:
- Press down the footbrake.
- Confirm that you are in 1st gear.
- Release the handbrake slowly.
- Slightly release the footbrake and simultaneously release the clutch. Apply some accelerator if you feel like the vehicle is about to stall.
- Indicate, check your blind spots and check your mirrors.
- Use your judgement to decide whether the car needs some accelerator as you pull away. How much accelerator you need will depend on the gradient of the hill as well as the type of vehicle you’re driving.