A feeder lane allows slower moving vehicles to accelerate and get up to speed before merging with traffic on a high-speed road. When merging from a feeder lane into fast-moving traffic, the main thing to remember is to increase your speed to that of the traffic you want to merge with before you merge. This makes the merge easier and safer for everyone.
Here are the steps for merging from a feeder lane:
- Check your blind spot and mirrors, and indicate.
- Look for a gap in the faster-moving traffic to aim for.
- Use the length of the feeder lane to match the speed of your car with that of the faster-moving traffic.
- Once you’re up to speed, merge smoothly and switch off your indicator.
- Adjust your speed to suit the flow of traffic.