It can be quite difficult to smoothly move off when driving a manual car. It is, therefore, important that you practice adequately to ensure that you’re able to do it in traffic.
Here are the steps for moving off smoothly in a manual vehicle:
- Press the clutch in and shift to the first gear.
- Press the accelerator gently while holding the clutch in.
- Let the clutch out slowly until you feel the car moving forward.
- Press the clutch back in slightly and you will feel your car wanting to move forward.
- Gently push down the accelerator a little bit more and let the clutch back out slowly.
- As you pull out, accelerate smoothly and check over your right shoulder for traffic or pedestrians in your blind spot.
- Make sure you are holding the steering wheel at the quarter to three position.