As a new driver, it’s important that you are able to return your vehicle to the kerb and bring it to a stop safely without interfering with the flow of traffic.
Below is the routine you should follow every time you are pulling over:
- Look for a safe place ahead to stop.
- Check your mirrors.
- Indicate left for a minimum of 3 seconds before bringing your car to a halt, and check the blind spot on the left side of the car for cyclists and pedestrians.
- Slow your car down, smoothly.
- Stop your vehicle parallel to the kerb at a distance not more than 30cm from it. You can reverse and adjust your car’s position to get a bit closer if you need to.
- Put your car in park (automatic) or neutral (manual), engage the parking brake, release the foot brake and then switch off the engine.