Driving in the country is very different from driving in the City. There are plenty of things that you must be aware of and you should make certain that you take the appropriate precautions to ensure that you are safe. Country driving skills are something that every driver should work on by driving more often in the country to become accustomed to the different conditions that they will face.
Here are some tips for driving in the country:
- Reduce your speed if the tar seal ends. Gravel surfaces can be slippery and a lot of dust can limit your visibility. Turn on your headlights so that oncoming cars can see you better.
- Slow down if you see animals along the roadside. Animals are often unpredictable and may dash out in front of your vehicle. If you are driving too quickly you will not be able to stop and may hit an animal, causing damage to your car and killing the animal. If the animal is extremely large, hitting it will cause substantial damage to your vehicle.
- Braking distance will be increased on gravel or dirt. If you see anything up ahead that causes you concern, slow down well in advance so that you do not have to brake hard as it may cause you to lose control of your car.
- Be on the look out for people on horseback or large slow-moving farm vehicles. You will need to overtake both of these but you should do so carefully, making sure that there is no oncoming traffic when you make your move. Be aware that horses may spook and run if your vehicle is loud, so try not to accelerate too much or make any loud noises as you pass.
- Carry emergency supplies in situations where you are driving in areas that are far from the city or long distance driving in the country. If your car should break down or you get a flat tyre, you want to be prepared to spend the night, if necessary, while you wait for help to arrive. You may find yourself out of cell phone range and unable to call for help yourself. Make sure that you have water, food and a blanket and that your car has a full tank of gas if you are going to be driving in a remote location.
Accidents can happen in the country just as often as they do in the city. It is important to drive safely and carefully at all times and ensure that you keep your eyes on the road at all times.
Most people do not set out in their car with the expectation that they will be in an accident, it is just something that happens. Always be prepared by driving carefully and carrying emergency supplies.
This is the best way to ensure you will be ready for any situation as it happens.Visit Our Google+ Page