Hill starts when facing uphill can be a bit challenging in a manual vehicle because gravity will be working against you.
For practising this manoeuvre, choose a slope that is not too steep and with adequate space behind you, just in case your car rolls back.
Follow these steps once you’re ready to start:
- Pull the handbrake up and press the release button.
- Keep the handbrake engaged by holding it up.
- Slowly let the clutch out until you feel the car “bite” and then push it back in slightly so that the car remains steady.
- Press in the accelerator – you’ll need more of it than you would on a flat surface.
- Release the handbrake gently.
- When you have steady control, signal, check your mirrors and blind spots.
- If all’s clear, give the car some more accelerator and release the clutch gently as you pull out.